On the last day of my most recent trip to Mexico, I took the time to indulge in some authentic street tacos — and it was honestly life-changing.
While at a place called La Parilla, I had everything from chicken, to steak, to veggie, to goat, but my favorite had to be the chorizo. Not only was it perfectly cooked, perfectly seasoned and perfectly spicy, but it was paired with fresh pineapple, cilantro and salsa verde — and it was amazing.
Gosh, my mouth is watering just thinking about it.
So, I’ve decided to learn to make them. Happy eating, folks!
How to Make Mexican-Style Chorizo Tacos at Home:
- Mexican corn tortillas, small size
- 2 pounds Mexican hot chorizo, casing removed
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 5 cloves garlic, sauteed
- 1 teaspoon ground cayenne
- 2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground clove
- 3/4 teaspoon oregano or herbs de provence
- Pinch of sugar
- Olive oil
- Sea salt and pepper
- Toppings of your choice
- Preheat an oven to 400 degrees.
- In a bowl, mix all of the chorizo, cumin, cayenne, paprika, oregano, salt, pepper and sugar together.
- Pour mixture onto a baking sheet and spread out evenly. Place in the oven to bake.
- In a skillet, heat a couple tablespoons of olive oil and saute the garlic until soft.
- Open the oven and add the onions to the baking sheet.
- Take a wooden spoon and chop the chorizo a bit, making sure it is all broken apart.
- Bake in the oven until the chorizo is very well done. It should have some crispy bits.
- Once done, scrape chorizo and and onion into a bowl. Set aside.
- Warm the tortillas in the oven or microwave according to package instructions
- Fill each tortilla with chorizo and your toppings of choice. I personally like to add diced avocado, diced pineapple, diced onion, cilantro, lime, salsa verde and a little black pepper.
Note: if you layer a couple tortillas and then fill them, you won’t have nearly as much spillage.
Ready to try authentic street tacos? We can help!
Image Source: Erin Brelsford, Pinterest