Oceans and beaches attract tourists like magnets.
Families, honeymooners, beach bums and thrill-seekers alike flock the ocean’s shore to enjoy a wide-range of activities like sunbathing, surfing, beach volleyball and more.
But, as it turns out, there’s a lot most people don’t know about their favorite vacation destination. For example — did you know that we’ve only explored around five percent of it? Mind blowing, right?
So, in honor of our favorite vacation destination, I’ve gathered a list of the most interesting and mind-blowing ocean facts that you may want to read before heading to the shore.
15 Fascinating Facts About the Ocean:
1. As humans, we have only explored five percent of the ocean.
2. It takes around 1,000 years for water to travel all the way around the world.
3. The Pacific ocean has approximately 25,000 islands.
4. The Arctic Ocean is the world’s smallest ocean.
5. The Atlantic ocean is growing larger and the Pacific is becoming smaller.
6. More than 50 percent of America is underwater.
7. The Great Barrier Reef is the biggest living structure on the planet.
8. When octopuses feel stressed, they will sometimes eat their own arms.
9. Jellyfish don’t have brains or hearts.
10. There are some fish that can live for over 30 years.
11. Humpback whales sing to each other.
13. There are around 20 million tons of gold in the ocean.
14. More people have visited the moon than the ocean’s deepest point.
15. The deepest point of the ocean could keep Mount Everest underwater.
Ready to head to the beach? We can help!