It’s no secret that snacks in airports are expensive — read: ridiculously expensive.
So, next time I travel, I’m definitely packing a few of these homemade goodies.
8 Homemade Snacks to Pack on an Airplane:
Honey Roasted Chickpeas
Image Source: @spiceemporium
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coconut oil, melted
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground clove
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Pat chickpeas dry then place them in a bowl.
- Toss with coconut oil.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spread chickpeas in one even layer.
- Bake 30 to 40 minutes, or until beans begin to turn crispy. Note: the chickpeas should have no softness left when removed from the oven.
- While chickpeas are baking, combine remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Gently toss hot chickpeas in the honey and spice mixture.
- Return to the baking sheet and bake an additional 10 minutes, or until a glaze has formed over the chickpeas.
- Cool completely before serving.
Sugar Cookie Puppy Chow
Image Source: Cooking Pinterest
- 4 1/2 cups Chex cereal
- 8 ounces almond bark, melted
- 2/3 cups rainbow sprinkles
- 1 1/2 cups funfetti cake mix
- Pour Chex cereal in a large bowl, set aside.
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt almond bark.
- Pour melted almond bark over cereal.
- Stir together gently, making sure not to break the cereal.
- Stir in sprinkles.
- Pour the funfetti cake mix into a large ziploc bag.
- Pour the almond bark covered cereal into the bag.
- Seal the bag or container and shake until all the cereal is coated with the funfetti cake mix.
Peanut Butter Energy Bites
Image Source: @pumpkin_n_spice
- 2/3 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup ground flax seeds
- 1 tablespoon of black chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Add peanut butter, oats, flax seeds, chia seeds , cinnamon, honey and vanilla extract to a food processor.
- Pulse until ingredients are blended.
- Add mixture to a large bowl and stir in chocolate chips.
- Form energy bite mixture into 1″ balls and place on parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Cover and place in refrigerator for 2 hours.
Image Source: @treats_by_heather
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 4 cups pecans halves, unsalted
- 1 egg white, whisked
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Add the granulated sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt and cayenne to a large bowl.
- Whisk until evenly combined. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, add pecans and egg whites, and gently toss until the pecans are evenly coated.
- Add in the sugar mixture, and toss until combined.
- Spread the mixture out in a single layer on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake for about 40 minutes, removing the nuts and giving them a stir every 20 minutes.
- Bake until the pecans are fragrant and the sugar coating is hardened.
- Remove from the oven, and let the nuts reach room temperature.
Rosemary Parmesan Popcorn
Image Source: @lindsaypleskotrd
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 large garlic clove, peeled and smashed
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup un-popped popcorn kernels (or 12 cups freshly popped popcorn, unseasoned)
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Add one sprig of rosemary, smashed garlic clove and olive oil to a small saucepan.
- Heat on low and stir until fragrant.
- Stir in garlic salt and black pepper, to taste.
- Heat until very warm but not simmering. Set aside.
- Pop popcorn according to instructions.
- Pull leaves from second sprig of rosemary and finely mince. Set aside.
- Remove rosemary sprig and garlic clove from the warmed olive oil.
- Drizzle olive oil over popped popcorn and toss to coat.
- Sprinkle popcorn with grated Parmesan, 1 teaspoon fresh minced rosemary, garlic salt and black pepper.
Image Source: @lydiareichardt
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne
- 1 1/2 cups whole almonds
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In large bowl whisk together butter, Worcestershire sauce, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, dried basil, onion powder and cayenne.
- Add almonds and toss to coat.
- Spread in single layer on baking sheet.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes flipping several times.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with salt.
Image Source: @pinkgreens
- 1 medium-sized bunch of kale, washed and dried
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 1 pinch of garlic powder
- whatever other seasonings you like
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.
- Wash your kale and shake off as much of the excess water as you can. Note: 8se a salad spinner, if you have one.
- Blow dry your kale. This definitely sounds weird, but it’s perfect for getting rid of all that excess water.
- Cut out the center stem.
- Add about 1/2 a tablespoon of oil, and massage into the kale.
- Sprinkle on salt, pepper, garlic powder and other seasonings onto the massaged kale.
- Rub seasonings into the leaves.
- Spread leaves out onto a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Put them in the oven for about 10 minutes, then rotate the sheet and let them bake another 10 minutes.
- Let cool.
Ranch Snack Mix
Image Source: @the_chunky_chef
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 packet dry ranch dressing mix
- 1 package oyster crackers
- 1 box Cheez-its
- 1 bag waffle pretzels
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons dill weed
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees F.
- In large bowl, combine oyster crackers, Cheez-its and pretzels.
- Drizzle with vegetable oil. Gently mix until crackers are coated.
- Mix in dried ranch dressing packet, onion powder, garlic powder and dill weed. Gently mix until crackers are coated.
- Spray two cookie sheets lightly with non-stick spray.
- Spread snack mixture evenly among cookie sheets.
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes. Halfway through, stir mixture and return to oven.
- Let cool.
So, ready to board a flight to your next adventure? We can help!
Image Source: Unsplash