While there, I swam in the ocean, enjoyed a catamaran ride, took a lot of naps on the beach and drank one-too-many Mango Tangos — but one of my favorite things was the authentic Jamaican Beef Patties.
On the daily, a little shop by the pool would cook-up fresh, never-ending patties… mmm my mouth is watering.
To say I ate 10 pounds of the stuff throughout may vacation may be an understatement.
So, when I got home, I was obviously having withdrawals. I immediately craved the crispy, slightly spicy, tender treat — so, I found a recipe!
And guys — it’s so good.
How to Make Jamaican Beef Patties at Home:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 dash salt
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup beef broth
- 1⁄2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1 egg, beaten
- Combine flour, curry powder and salt.
- Cut in butter and shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in water until mixture forms a ball. Note: do not over stir.
- Shape dough into a log, and cut into 10 equal sections.
- Roll each section into a six-inch circle.
- Set aside.
- Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat.
- Saute onion until soft and translucent.
- Stir in ground beef.
- Season with curry powder, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Cook until beef is browned.
- Stir in beef broth and bread crumbs.
- Simmer until liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- Spoon some filling into each pastry circle.
- Fold over and press edges together, making a half circle.
- Use a fork to press edges, and brush the top of each patty with beaten egg.
- Bake in preheated 375 degree oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove, let cool and enjoy!
So, ready to try a few authentic Jamaican patties? We can help!
Image Source: Instagram